Sunday 9 January 2011

Realising a dream

Also entitled <squeeeeeeeee>

In August 1999 I bought Kerrang magazine.  With it came a CD (remember those?) of killer new tracks.  One of them changed my life forever.  The band? Slipknot. The song? Wait and Bleed.  Until this point I had never had a "favourite band" but all this was changed in the 2 minutes and 27 seconds of that song. 

Slipknot became part of my life! Every song, every album was purchased on release date.  I had Slipknot patches all over my Uni bags.  Slipknot hoodies and Slipknot t-shirts we de rigueur to accompany my baggy jeans and trainers.   My greatest celebrity crush was Corey Taylor - despite the fact I had no idea what he looked like under the mask!

I was so desperate to see them live - but somehow the opportunity never arose....gigs and tours clashed with my finals, then work and weddings.

Suddenly it was 2006 - and I was on maternity leave awaiting the arrive of our first child.  I spent the days reading and watching Scuzz and Kerrang.  And then another song to change the world! Made of Scars by Stone Sour.   Upon doing a little research what do I discover? That the lead singer of Stone Sour is none other than Corey Taylor, the iconic Slipknot front man.  And incidentally he is VERY good looking under the mask.

I laboured to Stone Sour and Slipknot. I do the housework to Stone Sour and Slipknot.  I drive to Stone Sour and Slipknot.

Then...in July 2010 a chance viewing on Twitter informed me that Stone Sour we touring....and coming to Leeds!  A dodgy Internet signal and no reception made the task virtually impossible but my wonderful husband prevailed and we had tickets.

Four very long months later 3 November arrived and it absolutely was one of the best nights of my life.  I cannot describe the power of a single hour that is the realisation of a dream.  The show was immense and it will not be the last time I see them..  Definitely not!

So here's to realising your dreams - they are, quite categorically, worth the wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment