Thursday 17 February 2011

The dreaded writer's block

Well this isn't a subject I particularly wanted to cover but here I am.  A good couple of months into the blog and I have blogger's block.

I have spent the last week writing and re-writing, starting blog posts on various topics but I'm just NOT feeling it.  I can't get past the first paragraph.  Everything I write seems stilted and passionless and well, just boring.  The other topics I've written have just flown off my keyboard - completely easy to write and I've felt so happy with them so I suppose this is my first real test.  How am I going to get past this block?

So, I shall make a plan.  I'm going to aim to blog a couple of times a week.  I'm going to do a "Talking Point Tuesday" where I shall write the more contentious subjects I want to cover then do another blog post on a Saturday which will be on anything and everything!

I also think I need to get past the mindset that I worry about whether the subjects I write are too inflammatory.  I have come from a world where the last 7 (weeps) years I have been using an online forum.  One where you have to be careful about what you say, what you write.   And I'm finding the journey into blogging very different - it's quite hard to come to terms with the fact that I can actually write whatever the hell I want and not worry about anyone else!

I also wonder if I'm aiming too high too soon.  I don't want to be a Gordon Comstock type and try and write an epic every day.  But I have made no secret of the fact I want to be noticed.  I want my writing to reach thousands of people - I need to remember that it isn't going to happen overnight but I sometimes find trying to promote my blog underwhelming and very demoralising.

My other worry is spreading myself too thin.  I'm also, trying to write a novel at the same time as this blog, not to mention trying to be a good mother, be a good wife, run a household and work from home in the family business.

I think I need to try and organise my time better, give myself set times during the day for doing the writing and the work.  Make sure I am not stressed by the amount I have to do and make sure I'm relaxed enough.  I'm also going to take my notebook everywhere in the hope that where I least expect it, inspiration for a blog post will bite me.

Interestingly I seem to be having no trouble in writing my novel.  Well that isn't strictly true, I have a problem in that I have too many ideas and I can't decide which one to concentrate on!  Seems I'm never satisfied!


So that's it - the tragic ballad of a girl who wants to write but who can't find anything to write about....although its seems I've written a blog post quite easily so hopefully I'm out the other side!

1 comment:

  1. hey, writing starts with just one word - and see, you got this blog post done! Well done you :)
    It is hard sometimes - trust me :) - but you have to persevere and figure out why you want to blog + write

    x

    ReplyDelete